WASHINGTON, D.C. – As Republicans take control of the U.S. House of Representatives, extreme MAGA groups have been scheming alongside their congressional allies to influence powerful committees and House leadership.
In response, Accountable.US has documented eight ultra-conservative organizations that have direct ties to the GOP majority and their dangerous agenda to radically reshape Congress, cut vital programs like Social Security and Medicare, and launch a slate of wasteful investigations into President Biden.
The strong ties between outside MAGA groups and the GOP majority are a clear signal that extremists have taken control over the House of Representatives. Rather than pursuing an agenda that delivers for their constituents, McCarthy and his hard-right majority are hellbent on pursuing a fringe agenda gutting social security, slashing medicare funding, and banning abortion to satisfy their wealthy donors and MAGA extremists."
Tony Carrk, Executive Director of Accountable.US
- The Heritage Foundation is a conservative think tank that is known for being one of the world’s most influential think tanks due to its relationships with Republican administrations and influence in Congress.
- The Club for Growth is a conservative organization backed by the right-wing billionaire Richard Uihlein and other monied interests. Before the new Congress was sworn in, the group urged Republicans to vote no on Kevin McCarthy’s Speakership unless he agreed to a slate of extreme rules changes.
- America First Works, originally called America First Policies, is a conservative nonprofit whose leadership features numerous high-ranking, former members of President Trump’s executive branch, including former Small Business Administration Administrator Linda McMahon and former chief White House economic advisor Larry Kudlow.
- America First Legal Foundation is an organization launched by former Trump White House advisor Stephen Miller that has been particularly critical of the Biden administration’s handling of the southern border and the supposed politicization of the Department of Justice.
- The American Accountability Foundation is a conservative-leaning opposition research organization that has partnered with right-wing members of the GOP caucus who want to shrink the federal ledger. Representatives Paul Gosar and Lauren Boebart, among other Congressmembers, have already cited AAF in their communications with Biden officials.
- The Conservative Partnership Institute is expected to highlight purported problems of “election integrity” in the new Congress alongside their close ally, Representative Jim Jordan. The organization previously worked with Rep. Jordan to fight Trump’s loss in the 2020 election.
- Conservative activist Tom Fitton’s Judicial Watch has fixated on the President’s family since the 2020 election, going as far as to sue for records from the Department of Justice concerning Republican Senators’ investigation of President Biden’s family members.
- Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America has called on GOP leadership to pass legislation establishing a federal ban on abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy.