Washington, D.C. — As CPAC and the American Conservative Union hold their Texas 2021 Conference the same week as the six-month anniversary of the deadly Trump-inspired riot at the U.S. Capitol, government watchdog Accountable.US released a report today finding that at least 25 speakers are scheduled to speak who fanned the flames of the insurrection with their dangerous rhetoric and actions, including promoting election conspiracy theories or voting against certifying the 2020 Presidential Election.
“The fact that CPAC is giving a platform to the biggest stars of today’s mainstream conservative movement who helped incite the violence and sedition we witnessed on January 6th really says it all,” said Kyle Herrig, president of Accountable.US. “By giving cheerleaders of the insurrection a megaphone, CPAC officials show they are complicit in the fight against democracy. They’ve made it clear that there is no daylight between the mainstream conservative movement and the web of white nationalist groups, industry front groups, and Trump-worshiping politicians that sought to overthrow our democracy. Any business that gives money to the groups sponsoring this ‘America Last’ celebration should reevaluate whether these are values they truly share — and shouldn’t mind when their customers and shareholders find out about it.”
The report is the latest analysis from Accountable.US’ ‘Subsidizing Sedition’ project, which aims to educate the public that the January 6th Capitol riot was not a spontaneous event by fringe right-wing extremists, but rather a well-coordinated attack on our democracy supported and promoted by mainstream corporations, Republican and conservative politicians, operatives, groups and funders. It comes on the heels of bipartisan legislation to create a select committee to probe the deadly January 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol that passed in the U.S. House last month despite Republican obstruction.
AMONG CPAC’S INVITED SPEAKERS:
- Conservative Commentator Ben Ferguson, Who Peddled Voter Fraud Conspiracy Theories And Compared Biden’s Win To Saddam Hussein And Kim Jong-Un
- James O’Keefe, Who Was Banned From Twitter After His Group—Project Veritas—Pushed Propaganda To Undermine The Validity Of The 2020 Election Results
- Jenny Beth Martin, Co-Founder And CEO Of Tea Party Patriots — One Of The Groups Behind The Rally That Led To The Capitol Riot
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, Who Led A Legal Challenge To Overturn The 2020 Presidential Election Results And Was Closely Tied To A Rally Preceding The Capitol Riot
- Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry, Who Holds A Leadership Position With The Rule Of Law Defense Fund (RLDF) And Its Parent Group, The Republican Attorneys General Association (RAGA), Which Sent Robocalls To Promote The Rally That Led To The Capital Riot.
Accountable.US has identified both Paxton and Landry in its new “Enemies of Progress” campaign as top officials blocking progress on the country’s most urgent challenges at the behest of their special interest donors.
# # #