WASHINGTON, DC – Today, local GOP leaders and a sitting Republican Member of Congress, Anthony D’Esposito, called on Rep. George Santos to resign after revelations about his fabricated resume and his apparent illegal mismanagement of campaign funds came to light. As calls for his resignation mount, Rep. Santos publicly vowed to remain in his seat while the new Speaker of the House remains conspicuously silent.
Accountable.US recently filed a complaint with the Office of Congressional Ethics requesting an immediate investigation of his false biographical claims, inaccurate financial disclosures, and his failure to disclose his criminal record.
Rep. Santos’ ethical and legal controversies keep growing yet Speaker McCarthy remains silent. Speaker McCarthy seems more concerned about protecting his slim majority than upholding integrity in the House of Representatives. As we’ve seen in recent weeks, there's no limit to how far the Speaker will go to maintain his own power and force a far-right agenda on Americans.”
Tony Carrk, Executive Director of Accountable.US
GOP Leaders calling for Rep. Santos to resign:
- Rep. Anthony D’Esposito of New York’s 4th Congressional district
- Former Rep. Peter King of New York’s 2nd Congressional district
- New York State Senator Jack Martins (7th District)
- New York State Senator Patricia Canzoneri Fitzpatrick (9th District)
- New York State Assemblyman Edward Ra (19th District)
- Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman
- Nassau County Clerk Maureen O’Connell
- Presiding Officer of the Nassau County Legislature Richard J. Nicolello
- Nassau County Legislator Mazi Melesa Pilip (10th District)
- Supervisor of the Town of North Hempstead Jennifer DeSena
- Supervisor of the Town of Hempstead Donald Clavin, Jr.
- Supervisor of the Town of Oyster Bay Joe S. Saladino
- Mayor of Glen Cove Pam Panzenbeck