WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, government watchdog Accountable.US called on key payment processing and fundraising platforms to cut ties with groups behind the seditious Capitol riot on January 6. Leading companies Stripe and DonorBox have provided services to at least five of the right-wing groups involved in the deadly insurrection despite maintaining policies against allowing customers to use their services to promote hate and violence.
“These companies play a big role in how groups involved in the Capitol insurrection raise money — and their choice to continue doing business with them is a poor reflection of their corporate values,” said Accountable.US President Kyle Herrig. “They shouldn’t wait for a public backlash before severing ties with these fringe groups that don’t just spread hateful and seditious rhetoric, but act on it.”
The group sent letters to the CEOs of Stripe and DonorBox calling on them not to provide services to those in the business of stirring up insurrection and spreading hate, and to consider whether doing business with such groups is in line with their stated corporate values.
In all, these fundraising platforms have provided services to the following groups:
- Tea Party Patriots: Uses Stripe to process direct donations and was listed among the groups participating in the January 6 March to Save America Rally.
- The Phyllis Schlafly Eagles: Uses Stripe to process direct donations and was listed among the groups participating in the January 6 March to Save America Rally.
- HIS Church: Uses Stripe to process direct donations. HIS Church Pastor Brian Gibson took part in an event “billed as a combination worship service and rally for Trump” the day before the January 6 Capitol riot and founded Peaceably Gather — one of the groups behind the January 6 rally that led to the riot.
- The Black Conservatives Fund: One of the groups behind the rally that led to the January 6 Capitol riot, and which is closely tied to #StopTheSteal, uses Stripe to process direct donations.
- The Eighty Percent Coalition: Uses DonorBox to process direct donations and was listed among the groups participating in the January 6 March to Save America Rally. Eighty Percent Coalition organizers reportedly said they hoped to see Congress object to certifying the results of the 2020 Presidential Election.
Accountable.US is behind the ‘Subsidizing Sedition’ project exposing all those involved with the January 6th insurrection including mainstream corporations, Republican and conservative politicians, operatives, right-wing and white nationalist groups — and the money behind them. It comes as Speaker Pelosi plans a 9-11-style commission on what led the deadly events of January 6th.
# # #