WASHINGTON, D.C. – Following news that President Donald Trump has formally nominated William Perry Pendley to run the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Western Values Project, a project of Accountable.US, is releasing a detailed review of the controversial lawyer’s views on public land management on its WilliamPendley.org site.
William Perry Pendley has spent decades undermining public lands and the environment at the expense of all Americans. He is not just unqualified to manage the federal estate, he is a danger to the outdoor heritage so many in the West depend on to make a living. To protect our public lands, the Senate should unequivocally vote this nomination down”
Chris Saeger, a spokesman for Accountable.US.
Here are a few highlights from the site:
- Pendley supports selling off vast amounts of public land to private special interests.
- Over the years, he has repeatedly sued the federal government to remove conservation protections.
- A previous nomination to a top post at BLM in 1981 fell through after questions arose about whether Pendley exerted political pressure on career scientists.
- He expressed support for the armed extremists that engaged the BLM in a standoff over unpaid grazing leases.
- His official ethics filings indicate over 50 conflicts of interest.