WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Accountable.US released new profiles detailing a growing web of right-wing organizations focused on attacking voting rights under the dubious banner of “election integrity.” The release represents the latest update of the organization’s recently launched Monitoring Influence project, which seeks to uncover the relationships between powerful right-wing organizations and the shadowy, influential mega-donors who fund them. Today’s release comes only a few weeks ahead of the midterm elections, and as many states have started sending out mail-in ballots.
The exposé profiles eight powerful anti-voting rights groups that work to place burdensome restrictions on ballot access, bolster gerrymandering, and recently aided in the failed effort to overturn the results of the 2020 Presidential Election. Many of the groups filed amicus briefs in the upcoming Supreme Court case, Moore v. Harper, voicing support for the implementation of the fringe Independent State Legislature Theory, which would give sole authority over federal elections to state legislatures.
As Americans prepare to head to the polls, anti-voting rights groups are hard at work eroding our democracy. Now, some of these same groups are urging the Supreme Court to make state legislatures the sole authority over our elections, clearing the way for election subversion. We can not allow groups hiding in the shadows to break down our constitutional rights.”
Kayla Hancock, A.US Director of Power and Influence
Profiled organizations include:
- Honest Elections Project: Honest Elections Project filed an amicus brief to the Supreme Court supporting the “Independent State Legislature Theory” in Moore v. Harper. [Read The Profile]
- Thomas More Society/Amistad Project: Amistad Project was caught trying to deliver a fake slate of pro-Trump electors to the Michigan state legislature. [Read The Profile]
- Conservative Partnership Institute/Election Integrity Network: The Election Integrity Network mobilized “conspiracy-minded MAGA activists” to employ “Jim Crow-style voter suppression techniques” [Read The Profile]
- Heritage Foundation: Both the think tank itself and Heritage Action advanced debunked claims of widespread voter fraud used to enact restrictive voting laws across the country. [Read The Profile]
- Restoring Integrity and Trust in Elections: The organization is involved in lawsuits in six battleground states seeking to uphold gerrymandering, and stop ballot curing. [Read The Profile]
- True the Vote: Ahead of the 2020 election, True the Vote worked to recruit police officers and former military to serve as poll watchers. [Read The Profile]
- Lawyers Democracy Fund: Lawyers Democracy Fund defends strict voter ID laws and backed a law that a federal appeals court judge said “target[ed] African-Americans with almost surgical precision.” [Read The Profile]
- Public Interest Legal Foundation (PILF): Public Interest Legal Foundation engages in voter suppression efforts and spreads false information about voter and election fraud. [Read The Profile]