WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Accountable.US obtained the 990 forms of one of the country’s most influential right-wing organizations, DonorsTrust, and released the key findings in a new analysis. The group, nicknamed the “Dark Money ATM of the Right”, increased its revenue from over $300 million in 2020 to nearly $1.1 billion in 2021. Unsurprisingly, Accountable.US found that the group is using its massive war chest to funnel significant funds to groups connected to Leonard Leo’s shadowy influence network, anti-voting rights groups, election deniers, groups tied to the insurrection, and white supremacist hate groups.
This alarming increase in money is further evidence that a shadowy network of ultra-wealthy funders is hellbent on transforming this country to align with their fringe ideology, whether the American people like it or not.”
Kayla Hancock, Director of Power & Influence at Accountable.US.
Key Findings From the 990 Analysis:
- DonorsTrust’s total revenue jumped from just $360 million in 2020 to nearly $1.1 billion in 2021.
- Most of DonorsTrust’s contributions came from just three donors – including a non-cash property contribution of over $426 million.
- DonorsTrust gave over $7 million to groups that directly participated in the January 6th insurrection or repeated Trump’s Big Lie.
- DonorsTrust gave over $26.9 million to groups tied to Leonard Leo.
- DonorsTrust gave over $850,000 to white nationalist affiliated groups and hate groups.
- DonorsTrust gave over $26.9 Million to groups tied to Leonard Leo.
- DonorsTrust gave $25,000 to Stephen Miller’s America First Legal Foundation, which regularly uses xenophobic and transphobic tactics.
- DonorsTrust gave over $3.7 million to Americans for Public Trust, an organization that ran thinly-veiled misinformation campaigns ahead of last week’s midterms.