BREAKING: Trump Blocks FDA Guidance; Watchdog Group Calls Politicization of Vaccine Approval “Egregious Breach of Public Trust”
Two weeks ago: “Watchdog Group to Trump: Don’t Block or Weaken Upcoming FDA Vaccine Standards”
Washington, DC – Today, Accountable Pharma responded to reports that President Trump’s Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows, has blocked the Food and Drug Administration’s proposal for stricter guidelines for emergency approval of a coronavirus vaccine that threatened to push approval past Election Day.
“This is an absolutely egregious breach of public trust and clear politicization of what should be a vaccine approval process based on science and public health,” said Eli Zupnick, spokesman for Accountable Pharma.
“The timeline for vaccine approval should be dictated by what’s in the best interests of patients and the country, not what is best for President Trump’s political future. The White House must retract this interference with the scientists and public health experts at the FDA and must stop undermining the already eroded public trust in their vaccine approval process.”
A timeline of political pressure on health officials
- September 28: White House objections may prevent FDA from releasing stricter guidelines drawn up for the emergency authorization of coronavirus vaccines.
- September 21: President Trump once again claimed that a vaccine will be approved “within a matter of weeks” and that it will be available to the public “long before the end of the year, maybe…maybe by the end of October,” contradicting his top public health officials.
- September 16: President Trump publicly scolded the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield following his testimony to Congress that mask use was critical in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and that a vaccine would likely not be available to the American public until “late second quarter, third quarter 2021.”
- August 30: WaPo: “Inside Trump’s pressure campaign on federal scientists over a covid-19 treatment”
- August 25: NPR: “FDA’s Hahn Apologizes For Overselling Plasma’s Benefits As A COVID-19 Treatment”
- August 24: “Trump’s FDA Intimidation Campaign Pays Off With Politically-Convenient Announcement; Further Undermines Trust in Vaccine, Treatment Approval Process”
- August 22: Trump dials up the pressure with another tweet “The deep state, or whoever, over at the FDA is making it very difficult for drug companies to get people in order to test the vaccines and therapeutics. Obviously, they are hoping to delay the answer until after November 3rd. Must focus on speed, and saving lives!”
- August 19: Trump insinuates that FDA is trying to hurt him politically through delay: “It could be a political decision because you have a lot of people over there who don’t want to rush things because they want to do it after November 3”
- August 18: “Trump Dials Up Pressure for Pre-Election Vaccine, Wonders if “Deep State” Will Delay Vaccine Announcement Until November 4th”
- August 17: “Trump Pushes Another COVID-19 “Miracle Cure” Hawked By His MyPillow Buddy, Housing Secretary; Watchdog Urges FDA to Stand Up to Pressure”
- August 6: “Watchdog Group to FDA: Patients Need More Than Words On Vaccine Safety Assurance; Supports Health Expert Calls for Additional Transparency”
- July 15: “NEW REPORT – Operation Warp Speed at Two Months: $4 Billion for Drug Companies, Zero Assurances for Patients and Taxpayers”
- June 25: “New Vaccine Report Highlights Trump Administration’s Drug Company Connections, Need for Vaccine Program Transparency”
- June 24: “As Dr. Fauci Expresses Hope for Vaccine By End of Year, Patients Need Assurances That Trump Pressure Won’t Corrupt Development Process”
- June 8: “Watchdog Calls for Independent Patient Advocate to Audit ‘Operation Warp Speed’”
- May 26: “Lack of Transparency, Conflicts of Interest Surround Trump’s “Operation Warp Speed” Vaccine Development Program”