Today, Nebraska Governor Jim Pillen appointed anti-conservation extremist Pete Ricketts to the U.S. Senate to fill the vacancy of outgoing Senator Ben Sasse. Ricketts is known for his long history of opposing popular conservation initiatives and his cozy relationship with conspiratorial extremist groups like American Stewards for Liberty (ASL).
Rickett’s appointment is the latest example of a concerning trend of growing right-wing extremism in the 118th Congress. In response, Accountable.US released the following statement and report exposing his relationships with ASL and how the group influenced his actions as governor.
With the appointment of Ricketts, anti-government extremists will have yet another mouthpiece in Congress to do their dirty work. Instead of fighting for everyday Nebraskans, Ricketts appears poised to deliver for wealthy industry executives and communities across Nebraska will suffer.”
Jordan Schreiber, Director of Energy and Environment at Accountable.US
Ricketts’s relationship with ASL
- Governor Ricketts signed an executive order opposing Biden’s conservation plan at the urging of ASL and collaborated with the group on its drafting.
- Governor Ricketts signed on to ASL’s letter opposing Biden’s conservation plan after at the request of ASL President Margaret Byfield.
- Prior to the lobbying of ASL, Ricketts had not made any public statements opposing Biden’s conservation plan.
- ASL grifts off rural taxpayers pushing county governments to sign dubious consulting contracts for hundreds of thousands of dollars to fund their executives’ high salaries.
- ASL traffics in conspiracy theories and misinformation to spread their fringe agenda.